Thursday, March 20, 2014

South Sound Technology Conference

I visited the South Sound Technology Conference on Friday and it was far different than I had expected.  Although the roster allowed the revisiting of many of the major speakers I’ve seen on speaker days at the entrepreneurship class, the content that was covered was not particularly in my sector of interest.
The bulk of the presentations seemed to be geared toward increasing modern-day cybersecurity, with panels of other speakers presenting their opinions on the current state of cybersecurity.  I was very well baffled by the depth that they discussed the topic that I could not particularly feel one way or the other about it (rather, just kind of “absorb it”).  But, through the presentations, my understanding of cybersecurity was brought to knowing that systems were advancing and changing, which meant for new problems and loopholes in technology to appear.  This, of course raises the standard of security that must be met, but I feel like improving our security systems is at most like playing cat and mouse; it feels like we are mainly “chasing” the issue as it appears.

An interesting point was brought up early on in the conference: that the techies there are working to try to make the city of Tacoma the home of cybersecurity.  I’m not sure how or when this is going to take place, but I figured that I liked the idea: it made me wonder if one day I would be exposed to it enough that I could become a part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment